Friday 14 February 2014

Foodie Friday - Venison steaks with mushroom sauce

by Bex

This is another of the seasonal recipes I adapted from last month's BBC Good Food magazine.  A few weeks ago Nik had come home with some seriously reduced venison steaks from M&S for just £1.50 as they were going out of date.  He'd eaten his when I was out one night so I took mine out of the freezer when he we was working nights.

I thought this might be a good recipe for Valentine's day (come back for a fab dessert idea this afternoon!), just double the quantities of everything except the oil and thyme.  I didn't have porcini mushrooms and I swapped the double cream for low fat creme fraiche and reduced the butter.  I also noticed that the picture in the magazine clearly had some thyme in it, although there wasn't any mentioned in the recipe.  I decided to add some.  Here's how I made it:

serves 1
Ingredients:
1 venison steak
salt & pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
10g butter
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
2 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp dry sherry
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 sprigs of thyme
2 tbsp low fat creme fraiche
mashed potatoes & broccoli, to serve

Method:
Season the venison steak with plenty of pepper and a little salt.  Heat the oil & butter in a frying pan until foaming, then cook the steak for 2 mins on each side for medium rare (or longer to your liking).  Remove from the pan and keep warm.


In the same pan, fry the shallot until soft then add the thyme and mushrooms and cook until browned.  Splash in the sherry, balsamic vinegar and creme fraiche.  Simmer down to make a thick sauce and then put the steak and juices back in the pan and spoon the sauce over the steak.


Remove the sprigs of thyme and serve with mash & vegetables (I had it on it's own as I wasn't very hungry).


I really enjoyed it!  Like I said before, I've tried venison before and never really been a fan but I've never had venison steak and it wasn't as gamey as I expected and went beautifully with the mushroom sauce.

This afternoon I'm sharing the Valentine's recipe I made for baking club - heart shaped hand pies!  :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100