Wednesday 22 January 2014

Healthy Mushroom Stroganoff recipe

by Bex

When I was shopping recently I spotted a massive box of mushrooms reduced to just £1.30 and thought I could make a mushroom stroganoff.  As I couldn't be bothered looking up a recipe in the supermarket, I just guessed that I had most things I would need at home (having made beef stroganoff before I remembered it's made with mustard and paprika and some kind of cream) the only thing I didn't have was cream so I bought half fat crème fraiche to keep it healthier.

Rather than just completely make it up, I googled and read about 4 recipes before deciding what to include in my own.  I ended up taking bits from each and at one point I was worried I'd ruined it as it didn't smell great and I thought maybe I should have kept it simple but by the time it was finished and I tasted it, I loved it!  Since I used the crème fraiche it's pretty healthy too!  :)


Serves 3-4
Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped (I also added a shallot as I had some left over)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g mushrooms, sliced/quartered (I used chestnut mushrooms and quartered the smaller ones)
salt & pepper
1 tsp English mustard
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp tomato puree
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
2 tbsp sherry or white wine
200ml beef stock (or vegetable if you want to keep it veggie friendly)
2 tbsp lemon juice
150ml crème fraiche
extra black pepper (optional)
parmesan (optional)

Method:
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wide saucepan and cook the onions and garlic over a medium heat for about 5 mins.  Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5-7 minutes until browned.  Season with salt & pepper.


Remember, they shrink a lot!

Add the mustards, tomato puree, paprika, thyme and sherry and mix thoroughly into the mushrooms.  Add the stock and 1 tbsp of the lemon juice.


Simmer until the sauce thickens then remove from the heat and add the other tbsp of lemon juice and the creme fraiche (I also added more black pepper as I like it peppery) and stir through.



Serve with rice (I used brown microwave rice and it was actually nice!) and grate over some parmesan if you like.  I was really pleased with it and it was really easy to make.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy - will def try this. Always on the lookout for good vegetarian recipes (being married to a veggie)! A x

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

yum! looks easy and delicious.

Beautifulosophy said...

This looks so good! Thanks! xo Caroline

Anonymous said...

I pinned it and did it… and LOVED it! This will definitely be a regular in the McKenzie household now :)

Unknown said...

This is actually on my to-make list for February/March after talking to you about it. I love mushrooms so I think this sounds right up my street. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100