Wednesday 18 December 2013

Christmas Decor - Pin It Do It

by Bex

I've had a few more ideas from Pinterest this year as with every Christmas since discovering it!  Here are some of my favourites after our DIY shelves success:

There's the bauble display I made using a case from a bottle of port we bought 2 years ago and Nik was about to throw away.  At first I just filled it with baubles like this idea...

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/250794272972870326/

but it was a bit dark so I added some lights like this idea...

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/250794272972870208/

And here is the final result...


I also made a wee button tree ornament for our Christmas tree, inspired by this pin.


In the study are a few more Pinterest inspired ideas.  I liked the idea of utilising our apothecary jars in a different way this year.  I usually fill them with baubles but this year one is filled with plain pine cones and the other has been transformed into a snow scene.  I had seen a few ideas including snow globes with these bristle trees and fake snow, most with the addition of little houses or deer.


Nik wasn't keen on them until I showed him Zoe's jars she did last year.  We decided to mix it up a bit and instead of a deer or wolf we added a zebra in keeping with our Africa/safari/travel themed room!  I do like a bit of randomness!



The other idea in here which has worked really well is the twig decorated with stars.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/250794272972752220/

When we were down in Durham recently my lovely FIL snipped a couple of branches off trees from his garden for me which are perfect!  As is this vase I found in TK Maxx for just £12.99...




I did have to use some kitchen roll in the neck to stabilise the branch though as it was still a little wide and the weight of the stars (although not a lot) has weighed it down over a few days.



The other branch has been sprayed with a glitter paint (a bit too subtle for my liking so I had to add a few coats) for a bit of sparkle and I added some more of my decorations, the snowflakes.




In fact, MIL & FIL were so inspired by the twig idea, they have done their own versions!  They sent me some pictures and I asked if I could share them here, I think they're fab...



Oh, and after my glitter skull success, I was determined to glitterify something for Christmas too (I even bought some green glitter on ebay) and planned to glitter some pine cones we collected in Durham.  I haven't got round to it yet but I did decide to glitter my NOEL letters as I wasn't really keen on them anymore.  I've only done the O so far as I wanted to make sure it would work but I love it!  :)  I'm also going to add glitter to some of my cornflour decorations and hang some on the tree as well as using some on my gift wrapping.





And since I'm updating you on all the decor, I also looked out my dragonfly votives...


And added my new star lights to the hall where you can see the Christmas cards filling up (I still haven't finished making mine, eek!)...


5 comments:

Unknown said...

All of this looks so pretty and festive and cosy. You have a very good eye for this.

Bex said...

Thanks Siobhan! :)

Kirsty @Bake Good said...

Your decorations are brilliant, it was great to see them all on Sunday. My favourite is the snow scene apothecary jar, I must do that next year!

Amanda M said...

The moment you start selling those snowflakes is the moment I become your customer!

Love the bewildered zebra in the snow too!

Amanda M said...

PS did you glue the baubles into the port box?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100