Thursday 23 August 2012

Recipe - Mum's Oaties!

I had the urge to do some random baking this evening and after flicking through my book Taste Ye Back: Great Scots and the Food That Made Them (a great book with stories of childhood memories of food and old fashioned recipes from famous Scots like Ewan McGregor and Alan Cumming).  I was inspired to make my Mum's old recipe for Oaties (not that they're Scottish).  I used to love them fresh out of the oven while they're still soft!  They still remind me of home.  I'm sure she won't mind me sharing her recipe here.  It's very simple, delicious and took me just 45 mins including baking time.

Update: My Dad's just emailed me after seeing this post...


Hi Bex,

Lovely jubbly!

It was originally my grandmother’s recipe.  I would have commented on your site but it won’t let me.

Love,

Dad xx



Ingredients:

4oz butter
3oz sugar (we use golden granulated sugar)
1 tsp golden syrup
3tsp boiling water
3oz oats
3oz self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder


Method:


Preheat the oven to 180oC.
Cream the butter and sugar together.


Add the golden syrup and boiling water and mix thoroughly.


Add the oats, flour and baking powder and mix again until combined.


Roll into balls and place on a greased baking tray or on grease proof paper.


Space them out as they spread when baking.


Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins.



Cool on the tray or eat immediately!  They will be soft when they come out and harden up as they cool.  I only remembered after letting them cool (after my first 2 of course!) that I prefer them undercooked so they stay soft rather than crispy.  I should have taken them out at 15 mins instead of putting them back in to get golden as they keep cooking when they come out.  They're still yummy though and if you prefer them crispy then leave them in for the full 20 mins.





Yummy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I might have to get that book and sort out the lack of golden syrup in our house, as it is preventing me from making these and also flapjacks. I love that this is recipe that has been passed through generations. I love that kind of thing x

Glasgow Mummy said...

I think my two kiddies would love these!! I'll add it to my list of things to make with them :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100