Sunday 2 October 2011

Recipe - Chilli Con Carne

I used to make my chilli from a packet - usually this one...

Yes, I am lazy
I figured it wasn't so bad since it was really just the mix of spices and you add the meat, veg and liquid anyway.  Also, I always used to adapt it by adding extra kidney beans and red wine.  (I think it adds to the richness like in spag bol!)  I decided that since I've been really enjoying getting into cooking again, it's taken me a while to get back to normal after the wedding - was surprisingly still very busy for a while - that I would like to make chilli from scratch so searched through my books for the best recipe.  I was really pleased with the result and will definitely make it like this in future (unless I'm feeling really lazy or super busy!)

I ended up doing a bit of a mash up of a few recipes but mainly one from this book...



I changed it A LOT though so am just going to write what I did.  The one in the book was cooked in the oven for a loooong time and used chunks (I had already bought mince but SO gonna try chunky chilli in the oven next time!), I was also very hungry so just cooked it on the hob!

Ingredients:
1 Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
2 Red Chillies, seeded & chopped
500g Lean Steak Mince
2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
2 teaspoons Ground Coriander
3 teaspoons Paprika
2 cans Kidney Beans, drained (we like a lot of beans in our chilli!)
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 Beef 'Stock Pot' (from Knorr)
1/4 pint Red Wine
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 red pepper, seeded & chopped
Salt
Plain Boiled Rice, to serve
Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped (to serve)


Method:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, garlic and chillies.  Cook gently for 5 minutes until soft.  Add the mince and increase the heat to brown the meat, then stir in the cumin, ground coriander and paprika.



Add the tomatoes, beans, stock, red wine, pepper sauce and red pepper.



Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the fresh coriander.  Deeelish!

Making use of another fab wedding gift :)
Much tastier than the packet version

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Smells so yummy (Bex is cooking this for me as I write!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100